Thursday, December 20, 2012

Ostrich Egg

 Last  Saturday I attended a Historical Society Christmas Open House in Anna, TX. 
 Deb, my sister in law, asked me to join her at the Rattan farm house. 
 I wish I would have taken my camera because the house was built in 1928 
and has passed through 5 generations.  
They raise Ostrich along with a slew of other farm animals.  They get 3 to 5 of these eggs every 4 days.  
Mrs. Rattan gave me this awesome egg.  I wanted to preserve it like I do my Easter Eggs so  
I looked on the internet to see how long I need to boil it.  All the info was to boil it for 90 minutes.  
I have a stand in the garage that I am going to put it on to display.  
I am thinking of painting something on it.    
Here is a little information on the egg.

Though fluffier in texture and a little sweeter in flavor, ostrich eggs taste very similar to chicken eggs. Their yolk is a bright yellow-orange and whips up easily, making it a good choice for baked goods, pastries and egg dishes. One ostrich egg yields 10 to 12 servings of scrambled eggs and makes an omelet that will feed 10 people.
Ostrich eggs weigh 3 1/2 to 5 lbs. each, which is equivalent in volume to two dozen chicken eggs.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment